Caterpillar Uses Ultracapacitors in Mining Shovel
Maxwell Technologies is supplying ultracapacitors to Caterpillar for a high-efficiency energy management system that supports Caterpillar’s fuel-saving hydra-electric technology in its large hydraulic mining shovel, the new Cat 6120B H FS.
The 1,400-ton shovel’s energy management system incorporates 98 of Maxwell’s 125-volt ultracapacitor modules to absorb energy during brief shovel movements and deliver stored electrical energy on demand to supplement the main power system.
Unlike batteries, which produce and store energy by means of a chemical reaction, Maxwell’s ultracapacitor products store energy in an electric field. This electrostatic energy storage mechanism enables ultracapacitors to charge and discharge in as little as fractions of a second, perform normally over a broad temperature range (-40 to +65C), operate up to one million or more charge/discharge cycles and resist shock and vibration, says Maxwell. The company offers ultracapacitor cells ranging in capacitance from one to 3,000 farads and multi-cell modules ranging from 16 to 125 volts.
Maxwell supplies ultracapacitors for a variety of industries, including Shanghai ship-to-shore cranes for loading and unloading container ships at the Yangshan Deep-Water Port and for a braking energy recuperation system on light rail vehicles operated by the Portland, Ore., area’s TriMet transit authority.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing