CenterPoint Energy, PG&E and SDG&E Top Smart Grid Maturity Ranking
The three utilities each scored 4.2 on the average maturity scale, a metric that the report – titled The Utility Smart Grid Outlook in North America 2013 – bases on a utility’s smart grid portfolio, enterprise management and integration, communication networks, consumer engagement, and data management and analytics.
The top 10 utilities performed best in the category smart grid portfolio. Seven utilities on the top 10 list – CenterPoint, ComEd, EPB, FPL, PG&E, SDG&E and SCE – have all established long-term roadmaps that include full deployment of multiple smart grid applications throughout their service territories. These seven utilities were the only ones in this study to receive such a high smart grid portfolio ranking, making this category a key indicator of a utility’s maturity in the other four categories, GTM says.
The average maturity rankings for the 40 utilities are broken down into four tiers. Some 7 percent of utilities were in the top tier, and 25 percent were in the bottom and second tiers. 43 percent had an average maturity in the third tier. This means that only 7 percent of utilities can be described as having managed, integrated systems that are in the early stages of being optimized. Some 68 percent have exploratory, repeatable or managed systems, and have a fair amount of progress to make to achieve integrated and optimized smart grid deployments, GTM says.
ABB, Cisco, IBM and Itron were named as among the best smart grid vendors across the smart grid value chain in a report released by GTM in March. Siemens, S&C Electric, Schneider Electric, Opower, Silver Spring Networks and Tendril were also named in the top 10 that was chosen from those companies with proven market success, multiple deployments and clear business cases. In addition to the Top 10 Vendors, report announced announces GTM Research’s Top 10 Vendors to Watch. The latter list included Accenture, EcoFactor, EMC, GE and Honeywell.
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions - Findings from Leading Professionals