Central Grocers Upgrades to Latest Plug Power Fuel Cells
Plug Power says Central Grocers has placed an order for 182 of its GenDrive fuel cell units to operate its electric lift truck fleet at its warehouse in Joliet, Ill. In addition, Central Grocers has signed a five-year GenCare service contract with Plug Power for the GenDrive fleet.
Central Grocers has been operating GenDrive as the sole power source for its class-2 and class-3 lift truck fleet since 2009 at its Joliet facility that was built from the ground up with a hydrogen infrastructure in place. The new units will replace the original fleet after operating for more than two million hours.
Central Grocers was the first grocery warehouse of its kind in the world, where all goods were handled with hydrogen-fuel-cell-powered lift trucks, according to Plug Power. The new units are expected to be operational at Central Grocers by the third quarter of 2014.
PlugPower’s GenDrive customers include Walmart, BMW, Kroger, Wegmans and Bridgestone.
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Combined Heat and Power
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide