CenturyLink Installing Bloom Fuel Cells
The fuel cells are expected to produce nearly 4.4 million kWh of annual electricity, helping power cloud, managed hosting and colocation services housed within the data center, located in Irvine, Calif., and operated by CenturyLink company Savvis.
The Bloom Energy Servers use fuel cells to generate electricity through a clean electrochemical process using air and natural gas. The company has found a market in telecommunications, where uninterrupted power supplies are demanded.
Bloom Energy has experienced a growing demand for its Mission Critical solution, which will be installed at the Savvis California location. It expects to be profitable this year. This configuration enables CenturyLink to receive primary power for its critical loads from Bloom Energy Servers, protecting those loads from electrical outages without the need for backup UPS and generator systems. The Bloom system will be fully operational in early to mid-2014.
Bloom Energy provides solid oxide fuel cell technology generating onsite power from multiple fuel sources.
CenturyLink, the third-largest telecommunications company in the US, provides data, voice and managed services in local, national and select international markets through its fiber optic network and multiple data centers. The company said the fuel cells allow it to pursue its technology evolution without sacrificing its sustainability commitment.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing