CenturyLink Installing Bloom Fuel Cells
The fuel cells are expected to produce nearly 4.4 million kWh of annual electricity, helping power cloud, managed hosting and colocation services housed within the data center, located in Irvine, Calif., and operated by CenturyLink company Savvis.
The Bloom Energy Servers use fuel cells to generate electricity through a clean electrochemical process using air and natural gas. The company has found a market in telecommunications, where uninterrupted power supplies are demanded.
Bloom Energy has experienced a growing demand for its Mission Critical solution, which will be installed at the Savvis California location. It expects to be profitable this year. This configuration enables CenturyLink to receive primary power for its critical loads from Bloom Energy Servers, protecting those loads from electrical outages without the need for backup UPS and generator systems. The Bloom system will be fully operational in early to mid-2014.
Bloom Energy provides solid oxide fuel cell technology generating onsite power from multiple fuel sources.
CenturyLink, the third-largest telecommunications company in the US, provides data, voice and managed services in local, national and select international markets through its fiber optic network and multiple data centers. The company said the fuel cells allow it to pursue its technology evolution without sacrificing its sustainability commitment.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room