CenturyLink Installing Bloom Fuel Cells
The fuel cells are expected to produce nearly 4.4 million kWh of annual electricity, helping power cloud, managed hosting and colocation services housed within the data center, located in Irvine, Calif., and operated by CenturyLink company Savvis.
The Bloom Energy Servers use fuel cells to generate electricity through a clean electrochemical process using air and natural gas. The company has found a market in telecommunications, where uninterrupted power supplies are demanded.
Bloom Energy has experienced a growing demand for its Mission Critical solution, which will be installed at the Savvis California location. It expects to be profitable this year. This configuration enables CenturyLink to receive primary power for its critical loads from Bloom Energy Servers, protecting those loads from electrical outages without the need for backup UPS and generator systems. The Bloom system will be fully operational in early to mid-2014.
Bloom Energy provides solid oxide fuel cell technology generating onsite power from multiple fuel sources.
CenturyLink, the third-largest telecommunications company in the US, provides data, voice and managed services in local, national and select international markets through its fiber optic network and multiple data centers. The company said the fuel cells allow it to pursue its technology evolution without sacrificing its sustainability commitment.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement