CenturyLink Installing Bloom Fuel Cells
The fuel cells are expected to produce nearly 4.4 million kWh of annual electricity, helping power cloud, managed hosting and colocation services housed within the data center, located in Irvine, Calif., and operated by CenturyLink company Savvis.
The Bloom Energy Servers use fuel cells to generate electricity through a clean electrochemical process using air and natural gas. The company has found a market in telecommunications, where uninterrupted power supplies are demanded.
Bloom Energy has experienced a growing demand for its Mission Critical solution, which will be installed at the Savvis California location. It expects to be profitable this year. This configuration enables CenturyLink to receive primary power for its critical loads from Bloom Energy Servers, protecting those loads from electrical outages without the need for backup UPS and generator systems. The Bloom system will be fully operational in early to mid-2014.
Bloom Energy provides solid oxide fuel cell technology generating onsite power from multiple fuel sources.
CenturyLink, the third-largest telecommunications company in the US, provides data, voice and managed services in local, national and select international markets through its fiber optic network and multiple data centers. The company said the fuel cells allow it to pursue its technology evolution without sacrificing its sustainability commitment.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement