CenturyLink Works with ComEd to Lower Chicago Data Center PUE
ComEd is working with CenturyLink Technology Solutions on a multi-year energy efficiency project that will help the telecommunications company reduce the energy use of its Chicago CH2 data center by 7.4 million kWh annually.
The project is part of ComEd’s Smart Ideas for Your Business energy efficiency program, which provides financial incentives and technical assistance to ComEd customers to help them become more sustainable.
CenturyLink Technology Solutions initiated the multi-year project to upgrade and overhaul the majority of CH2’s mechanical equipment, serving the 125,000-sq-foot data center. This project will help the company reduce the power usage effectiveness (PUE) of CH2. A CenturyLink spokesperson would not provide the current PUE for the data center or the PUE the company hopes to achieve, saying “We do not publish our PUE figures externally.”
In addition to improving energy efficiency, CenturyLink will use the financial incentives from ComEd to upgrade data center CRAC units with variable frequency drives, improve cooling tower performance, optimize data center operating temperatures, and airflow management.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management