CenturyLink Works with ComEd to Lower Chicago Data Center PUE
ComEd is working with CenturyLink Technology Solutions on a multi-year energy efficiency project that will help the telecommunications company reduce the energy use of its Chicago CH2 data center by 7.4 million kWh annually.
The project is part of ComEd’s Smart Ideas for Your Business energy efficiency program, which provides financial incentives and technical assistance to ComEd customers to help them become more sustainable.
CenturyLink Technology Solutions initiated the multi-year project to upgrade and overhaul the majority of CH2’s mechanical equipment, serving the 125,000-sq-foot data center. This project will help the company reduce the power usage effectiveness (PUE) of CH2. A CenturyLink spokesperson would not provide the current PUE for the data center or the PUE the company hopes to achieve, saying “We do not publish our PUE figures externally.”
In addition to improving energy efficiency, CenturyLink will use the financial incentives from ComEd to upgrade data center CRAC units with variable frequency drives, improve cooling tower performance, optimize data center operating temperatures, and airflow management.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement