Champlain Hudson Power Express Authorized to Proceed
The US Department of Energy (DOE), in cooperation with other federal and state agencies, has issued the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) for the Champlain Hudson Power Express (CHPE) transmission line, Transmission Developers announced. The issuance of the FEIS concludes the successful review of the project’s environmental impacts under the National Environmental Policy Act and clears the way for final project permitting. DOE’s proposed action is the issuance of a Presidential permit that would authorize the construction, operation and maintenance of the proposed Champlain Hudson Power Express project.
The Champlain Project is a completely buried, 333-mile HVDC transmission line that will be installed underground and underwater, originating at the US-Canada border and running the length of Lake Champlain and through parts of the Hudson River to New York City.
In development since 2008, the project will produce 1,000 MW of clean, reliable energy. It is projected to reduce energy costs for consumers and businesses by $650 million a year.
The project will also diversify the state’s energy portfolio and increase the electric grid’s safety and security by creating new, hardened infrastructure that is less susceptible to damage from natural disasters.
DOE launched the CHPE environmental impact statement in the spring of 2010, in cooperation with the US Army Corps of Engineers, US Fish and Wildlife Service, US Coast Guard, and US Environmental Protection Agency, as well as the NYS Departments of Environmental Conservation and Public Service. DOE also consulted with the National Marine Fisheries Service.
Photo of New York and the Hudson River via Shutterstock.
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation