Charities Can Serve More Meals After Efficiency Upgrades
Michigan utility Consumers Energy and several mechanical contractors provided energy efficiency equipment and labor worth more than $290,000 to 10 Michigan-based food banks and homeless shelters.
As part of its Warm Hands and Hearts initiative, Consumers Energy identified 10 food banks and homeless shelters in Kalamazoo, Jackson, Lansing, Flint, Saginaw and Southfield and worked with local contractors to install new energy efficient equipment in their facilities.
The equipment will help these organizations save more than $31,000 annually on their natural gas costs. These savings equate to being able to purchase 150,000 pounds of food to make and serve an additional 125,000 meals every year.
Working with local contractors, Consumers Energy facilitated the installation of new energy efficient boilers, high-efficiency furnaces, on-demand water heaters and energy management systems along with other energy saving devices in the organizations’ buildings.
Local contractors supplied labor and materials at a reduced cost for this initiative. Contractors participating included Hayes Mechanical (Saginaw), Lauderbaugh Plumbing and Heating (Flint), Midwest Energy Group (Kalamazoo), and Lyon Mechanical (New Hudson).
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement