CHE Group to Build Rice Husk Biomass Plants
Each power plant will be able to generate 10 MW of electricity. They also will make non-hazardous ashes as a byproduct, which can be turned into cement substitute and silica fume for the semi-conductor industries.
The Malaysian-based company will collaborate with Vietnam’s Hau Giang Power Plant Joint Stock Co. to supply 200 MW of electricity using the rice husk biomass, reported StarBiz.
The biomass plants will be built in six provinces—Dong Phap, Hau Giang, An Giang, Can Tho, Kiew Giang and Soe Trang.
Initially, investors weren’t interested in biomass projects because of low feed-in tariffs in Vietnam compared to countries like Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines, managing director Chang Khong Keong told StarBiz. Rice husks were thrown away or burned as a result. The Vietnamese government has since increased the feed-in tariffs, providing investors with greater incentive to consider biomass power generation projects.
The company plans to expand its rick husk biomass plant project to Cambodia and eventually Myanmar.
Economic development and revised energy policies in regions of Asia as well as Latin American, the Middle East and Africa will drive a more sustained increase in the adoption of wind, solar and other renewable energy technologies, according to research released in August 2013.
Frost & Sullivan’s Annual Renewable Energy Outlook 2013 says falling prices combined with the need to diversify away from a high reliance on fossil fuels, enable developing countries to accelerate the adoption of new energy sources.
Photo of rice husks by Flcikr user Aaron May, CC 2.0
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Combined Heat and Power
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Energy Financing Report
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management