Chinese Province Installs 48,000 Controllable LED Streetlights
Echelon Corporation will work with Chinese lighting company Rongwen to provide a lighting control system with 48,000 light emitting diode (LED) streetlights for the prefectures of Dongguan and Foshan in Guangdong province.
With the controls, the prefectures will be able to cut energy costs with 30 percent more savings than just using high-efficiency LEDs. Additional benefits include improving LED life expectancy, reducing maintenance costs, and reducing light pollution. When installed, this project is expected to be one of the largest installations of controllable LED streetlights in the world.
The solution being deployed is built on the open ISO/IEC 14908 standard for control networking. Rongwen provides the LED fixtures and management software and implements the ISO 14908 standard using Echelon’s Power Line Communications (PLC) transceivers and segment controllers. Rongwen also provides the financing, project management, and ongoing operations using an energy savings contract.
Guangdong province, which has a population slightly smaller than Japan’s and economic output roughly equivalent to South Korea’s, has ambitious energy efficiency targets set by the provincial government. Rongwen expects the LED streetlight project to expand to more than 100,000 lights by 2014.
A key driver for energy efficiency in China is government policy. According to the 12th Five Year Plan, China will require 95 percent of new buildings to meet a mandatory energy savings target of 65 percent over the 2005 figure. The requirement is issued by the central government and provincial and municipal governments and varies depending on the specific functions of buildings. The Chinese government also plans energy saving retrofit projects for at least 60 million square meters of commercial and municipal buildings.
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection