Raritan Does Hotel Energy Management via Data Center
Raritan has helped Choice Hotels, the parent company of Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn, EconoLodge and Cambria Suites, transition to a “lights out” data center.
Raritan was charged with creating a data center management system that could be deployed with no disruption to Choice Hotel’s 24-hour reservation systems, provide reliable power delivery and include an easy-to-use, web-based interface that would allow remote monitoring of power and energy use. It also needed to support all of the lodging company’s servers and devices and allow those servers and devices to be powered up or down virtually.
Raritan deployed its PX intelligent PDU (iPDU), which allows Choice Hotels to control and monitor servers and devices at the outlet level as well as monitor incoming and outgoing air temperature and humidity. All devices and sensors can be managed remotely via a web-based user interface.
Information gathered by the iPDUs and sensors are analyzed and monitored by Raritan’s Power IQ energy management software, which tracks power consumption trends for each server and can perform cost-of-ownership analyses. Choice Hotels added digital keyboard, video and mouse switches along with Raritan’s Command Center SecureGateway to simplify access to data center equipment.
Raritan’s in-the-rack electronic asset management tools used in concert with its data center infrastructure management (DCIM) software allows Choice Hotels to track assets, manage power and space capacity, and handle equipment adds, moves and changes.
The colocation data center model with Raritan’s data center management system has enabled Choice Hotels to save money on energy costs, reduce personnel costs associated with operating an onsite data center, improve operational efficiency and increase uptime, says Raritan.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles