Data Center in China Saves 38% in Electrical Costs
A data center in Beijing, China recently retrofitted three 25-ton DX Computer Room Air Conditioning (CRAC) units with dual compressors, installing Bes-Tech’s patented Digi-CRAC technology, which is an aftermarket control device designed specifically for data center direct expansion coil units.
The Digi-CRAC retrofit achieved a 38 percent savings in annual electrical costs by reducing the electrical usage from 50.38 kWh/hr to 36.07 kWh/hr, which translates to a two year simple payback for the project.
Digi-CRAC also optimized the balance between unit capacity modulation and space load variations. Digi-CRAC units modulate the compressor and fan speed to match the building load and provides an average energy savings of 30 percent in energy usage while reducing thermal stress on mission critical equipment through improved room humidity and temperature control.
Digi-CRAC also reduces electric fluctuation and hot/cold spots, which helps prolong equipment life span and provides savings on maintenance costs while providing a controlled temperature and humidity environment maintaining set points of 20-22° C (68-72° F) and 45% respectively.
Retrofitting Digi-CRAC to existing units provided substantial savings over replacing CRAC units. As a result of the data center project, more data center projects are being initiated.
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection