In Duluth, This Month’s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
A Minnesota municipality is reminding 800,000 potential – but still unregistered – voters that their utility bills can serve as a form of identification on Election Day, the Duluth News Tribune reported on September 26.
In fact, the city of Duluth is sending out 30,000 reminders to register as inserts within utility bills starting this week, the local news outlet said.
Minnesota’s online voter registration system saw its largest influx of registrants on record September 23, with nearly 27,000 eligible voters signing up.
However, the local news outlet noted, while there are more than 3.1 million people now registered to vote in the North Star State, there still many who could take action now to cast a ballot on November 8, according to the Minnesota Secretary of State’s office.
“As a Duluthian, I feel that the more people we engage, the more people that vote, the more our communities reflect our values and our neighborhoods,” Duluth City Councilor Noah Hobbs said at a news conference at City Hall. “Voting is a large component of how we as a government engage with our citizens on a day-to-day operation.”
Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon, who joined Hobbs and Duluth Human Rights Officer Carl Crawford at the news conference, said his office is pushing for high voter turnout during the upcoming election. Minnesota had a nine-election streak of having the highest voter turnout in the country, he said, but the state fell to number six during the off-year 2014 election. He said he believes Minnesota can climb back to first place this year.
“We can do it, in part, through initiatives like this,” he said of the city of Duluth’s voter reminders.
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings