Cleveland Browns Turn to Anaerobic Digestion
FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio, is undergoing a number of upgrades – part of a two-year plan that will cost $120 million. As part of the upgrades, the Cleveland Browns National Football League contracted with Quasar Energy Group to collect food waste at the stadium and deliver it to an anaerobic digester.
At the stadium, food scraps, which would otherwise go to a landfill, are collected and ground into a slurry, which is transported to an anaerobic digester operated by Quasar Energy Group at Ohio State University’s Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center. At the anaerobic digester, which periodically adds cow manure to lower acidity and boost the methane, Quasar produces biogas for energy and fuel uses.
The implementation of the system at FirstEnergy Stadium will divert 35 tons of food waste from landfills every season.
Other partners involved in the project include Forest City Enterprises, InSinkErator and the Innovation Center for US Dairy.
Numerous professional sports venues across the US are implementing renewable energy, including Lincoln Financial Field, the home of the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles, which has brought online 11,000 solar panels and 14 wind turbines that provide up to 3 MW of power.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement