Coal-Free Power from Constellation Saves Chicago $1.2M over 2 Years
Constellation struck a unique power supply deal with the City of Chicago for electricity to be sourced entirely from non-coal generation facilities. The agreement applies to the city’s Fleet and Facility Management portfolio, including all city libraries, police and fire stations as well as buildings like the Cultural Center, City Hall, Harold Washington Library, O’Hare and Midway airports (450 facilities in total), and all of the city’s street and traffic lights.
New rates secured under the 25-month agreement will deliver a 2 percent discount from the city’s last electricity contract, amounting to a reduction in city electricity costs of $1.2 million over two years.
The contracted energy will be produced by nuclear and natural gas generation facilities based in Illinois, and the non-coal supply contract will contribute to meeting the city’s Climate Action Plan goals.
Constellation was selected from a pool of qualified bidders that are suppliers in the region. Constellation was the low-price bidder in all categories. The actual rate and weighted average price for the fixed facility portion is $42.67 MWh (annualized).
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement