Coal-Free Power from Constellation Saves Chicago $1.2M over 2 Years
Constellation struck a unique power supply deal with the City of Chicago for electricity to be sourced entirely from non-coal generation facilities. The agreement applies to the city’s Fleet and Facility Management portfolio, including all city libraries, police and fire stations as well as buildings like the Cultural Center, City Hall, Harold Washington Library, O’Hare and Midway airports (450 facilities in total), and all of the city’s street and traffic lights.
New rates secured under the 25-month agreement will deliver a 2 percent discount from the city’s last electricity contract, amounting to a reduction in city electricity costs of $1.2 million over two years.
The contracted energy will be produced by nuclear and natural gas generation facilities based in Illinois, and the non-coal supply contract will contribute to meeting the city’s Climate Action Plan goals.
Constellation was selected from a pool of qualified bidders that are suppliers in the region. Constellation was the low-price bidder in all categories. The actual rate and weighted average price for the fixed facility portion is $42.67 MWh (annualized).
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing