Coal-Free Power from Constellation Saves Chicago $1.2M over 2 Years
Constellation struck a unique power supply deal with the City of Chicago for electricity to be sourced entirely from non-coal generation facilities. The agreement applies to the city’s Fleet and Facility Management portfolio, including all city libraries, police and fire stations as well as buildings like the Cultural Center, City Hall, Harold Washington Library, O’Hare and Midway airports (450 facilities in total), and all of the city’s street and traffic lights.
New rates secured under the 25-month agreement will deliver a 2 percent discount from the city’s last electricity contract, amounting to a reduction in city electricity costs of $1.2 million over two years.
The contracted energy will be produced by nuclear and natural gas generation facilities based in Illinois, and the non-coal supply contract will contribute to meeting the city’s Climate Action Plan goals.
Constellation was selected from a pool of qualified bidders that are suppliers in the region. Constellation was the low-price bidder in all categories. The actual rate and weighted average price for the fixed facility portion is $42.67 MWh (annualized).
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 4 Reasons Operations Teams Can’t Live Without Real-Time Building Data
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management