Coca-Cola Vending Machines Cut Power Consumption by 68%
Coca-Cola Japan says its peak-shift vending machines, jointly developed with Fuji Electric, can provide cooled products for 16 hours while reducing daytime power consumption by 95 percent during summer months, compared to average figures for same models manufactured in 2012.
The new vending machines, which will be available in 2013, also reduce winter power consumption by 20 percent compared to current vending machines. Combined with power consumed for cooling, these vending machines can reduce power consumption by 68 percent, according to the company.
The machines reduce consumption by shifting the use of power for cooling from the general daytime peak-demand period to nighttime, when less strain is placed on power supply.
With conventional vending machines, the temperature in the machine would rise slowly if cooling was stopped for long periods of time, since only a portion of the products stored inside of it were cooled in response to sales — the traditional machine’s effort to limit electricity consumed. The new machines, however, cool all products at night, which limits the machines’ rise in temperature, even after it stops using power for cooling for long periods of times.
Coca-Cola will introduce the vending machines in January 2013. The company expects more than 10 billion yen ($1.21 million) in related investment and plans to install 25,000 units across Japan in the first year.
Field tests conducted during the summer showed that the vending machine can operate without using power for cooling for up to 16 hours per day, thus reducing daytime energy use by 95 percent, Environmental Leader reports.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- The Sustainable Edge™
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability