College Arena Saves $40,000 Per Year With LEDs
Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, installed GE’s Albeo LED High Bay lighting at the Dee Events Center, replacing high-intensity discharge (HID) lighting commonly found in sports arenas.
The Albeo ABHX-Series uses 70 percent less energy than the HID lights and is expected to save the university nearly $40,000 each year.
Prior to the retrofit, the Weber State University Energy & Sustainability Office analyzed campus energy usage and found the HID lighting at the Dee Events Center was one of the single biggest power hogs.
The new high bay LEDs provide brighter light with fewer fixtures, according to the university.
Albeo Technologies, now part of GE Lighting, offered the university an LED high bay fixture that is commonly used for warehouse applications. A total of 80 fixtures were installed, replacing 100 HID fixtures. The new LEDs produce more than 200 foot candles, double that of NCAA requirements for courts.
The LEDs can be dimmable and adjustable in nine zones throughout the arena.
Additionally, the Albeo ABHX-Series LED lighting fixtures significantly diminish maintenance needs in difficult-to-reach areas, according to GE.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection