College Arena Saves $40,000 Per Year With LEDs
Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, installed GE’s Albeo LED High Bay lighting at the Dee Events Center, replacing high-intensity discharge (HID) lighting commonly found in sports arenas.
The Albeo ABHX-Series uses 70 percent less energy than the HID lights and is expected to save the university nearly $40,000 each year.
Prior to the retrofit, the Weber State University Energy & Sustainability Office analyzed campus energy usage and found the HID lighting at the Dee Events Center was one of the single biggest power hogs.
The new high bay LEDs provide brighter light with fewer fixtures, according to the university.
Albeo Technologies, now part of GE Lighting, offered the university an LED high bay fixture that is commonly used for warehouse applications. A total of 80 fixtures were installed, replacing 100 HID fixtures. The new LEDs produce more than 200 foot candles, double that of NCAA requirements for courts.
The LEDs can be dimmable and adjustable in nine zones throughout the arena.
Additionally, the Albeo ABHX-Series LED lighting fixtures significantly diminish maintenance needs in difficult-to-reach areas, according to GE.
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- BuildingIQ Security
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement