College Replaces Central Heat with Satellite Boilers, Saves $600,000 Per Year
The State University of New York – Cortland has updated its heating plant and expects to save nearly $600,000 in energy costs per year.
The 60-year-old, centralized heating plant was taken offline in May and replaced with new high-efficiency boilers installed in each building across campus, according to SUNY Cortland.
Heating costs have accounted for more than 40 percent of the college’s energy budget, but that percentage will now be reduced.
The $12 million, two-year project replaced the old central steam heating plant and its three-pipe network with 42 individual boilers going into 21 buildings, allowing the steam heat produced by each boiler to remain in that structure. The old system allowed much heat to go to waste as the steam traveled from the plant to dozens of campus buildings. The new satellite boilers will also reduce the amount of natural gas usage.
Tim Slack, the director of SUNY Cortland’s physical plant, said the college installed Aerco Benchmark boilers.
Steam leaks in the old pipe system also required high maintenance, which should now be greatly reduced. However, the college will retain its 17-member heating maintenance staff. But instead of a 24-hour, 364-day-per-year schedule, maintenance staff will now cover a 17-hour workday from 7 am to midnight. With more than 3,000 pieces of equipment to maintain on campus, the full staff is still needed to perform preventative maintenance work, replace filters and grease motors.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing