College Students Leave Dorm, HVAC Adjusts
Energex, a Vancouver, BC, developer of occupancy sensors for commercial buildings, installed sensors in 275 rooms across two residence buildings at Conestoga College in Kitchener, Ontario.
With the help of financial incentives provided by Kitchener Hydro and Kitchener Utility, the project reduced energy consumption by nearly 150,000 kWh between August and November 2012. As a result, utility costs for both buildings were reduced by over $26,000. It is projected that the system will pay for itself within two years, after which Conestoga College will continue to receive the cost savings resulting from reduced energy consumption.
Student housing, similar to hotels, is faced with the problem of keeping residence rooms heated and cooled when the rooms are often vacant. With Energex, occupancy status of a room is detected through the use of passive infrared sensors. After a room has been vacant for over thirty minutes, the system switches to ‘conservation’ mode and automatically lets the temperature drift. Once an occupant has returned to the room, the system quickly reverts to the initial HVAC settings.
Energex systems are currently deployed in over 150,000 university, hotel, and residential rooms worldwide, according to the company.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement