Colorado Expands Geothermal
Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper signed a geothermal bond bill, providing $1.98 million in state funding for geothermal energy exploration at Pagosa Springs, Colo. The project also leverages a $3.8 million award from the Department of Energy for evaluating and exploring the geothermal resource potential at Pagosa Springs.
The Pagosa Verde project will assess the potential for power production as well as direct use applications for residential and industrial.
A collaborative framework at Pagosa Verde will provide a replicable model of public-private partnership and grassroots support. Landowners, city and county officials, utilities, and private investors worked with the Colorado School of Mines and the Colorado Energy Office to demonstrate the value of this project and its role in bringing geothermal energy development to the state.
The Geothermal Energy Association (GEA) is urging states to take advantage of carbon-emission reductions available through geothermal power portfolios in light of the EPA’s new Clean Power Plan unveiled this week.
The Clean Power Plan gives states significant leeway in designing plans to reduce their emissions, including adopting or strengthening policies to expand clean energy production, like geothermal power. GEA estimates that current geothermal energy production in the US already offsets about 14 million metric tons of CO2 from coal or 5 million metric tons from natural gas per year.
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement