ComEd Addresses Smart Meter Privacy, Safety Concerns
Chicago’s ComEd is in the process of deploying smart meters throughout its territory, but the company’s Vice-President of Advanced Metering Infrastructure Implementation Michael McMahan felt the need to respond to smart meter concerns by posting an article in the Glenview Suntimes.
“There is some confusion – and frankly, misinformation – regarding the smart meters ComEd is installing as part of its work to modernize the electric grid,” wrote McMahan. “Smart meters installed by ComEd comply fully with Federal Communications Commission health and safety standards,” referring to concerns about RF emissions.
McMahan added, “Just like standard meters, smart meters will measure the amount of electricity a customer uses, not how it is used. To ensure customer privacy, ComEd uses state-of-the-art cryptographic technologies, similar to those used by global financial institutions and the US Department of Defense, to protect against unauthorized access to customer personal information.”
Photo: Smart meter via Shutterstock
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management