CommScope Acquires LED Lighting Systems Company
CommScope has acquired Redwood Systems, a provider of LED lighting and integrated sensor networks for data centers and buildings.
CommScope funded the acquisition from cash on hand and funds available under its revolving credit facility. Other terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Redwood Systems, a privately-held company with offices in the US and UK, developed a smart building platform that powers and controls LED lights with a high-density sensor grid. This platform provides energy savings that typically average a 75 percent improvement over traditional fluorescent lighting systems for office buildings and a 90 percent improvement for data centers, according to the company.
Redwood Systems’ smart building platform also monitors energy usage, room occupancy, motion detection, temperature and environmentals, giving a clearer view of how building space is being utilized. This data is stored and available for graphical review, detailed analysis, or use by building management systems.
The Redwood platform also uses techniques such as “follow-me lighting” and daylight harvesting to further reduce energy consumption. The patented networking technology uses a low-voltage direct current, or DC, architecture.
The acquisition is intended to strengthen CommScope’s position in automated infrastructure management. The Redwood Systems platform can be deployed over CommScope’s existing cabling infrastructure to help customers improve energy efficiency and gain insight on building usage from the sensor network.
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- There’s Money in the Trash
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2015 Insider Knowledge