CommScope Acquires LED Lighting Systems Company
CommScope has acquired Redwood Systems, a provider of LED lighting and integrated sensor networks for data centers and buildings.
CommScope funded the acquisition from cash on hand and funds available under its revolving credit facility. Other terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Redwood Systems, a privately-held company with offices in the US and UK, developed a smart building platform that powers and controls LED lights with a high-density sensor grid. This platform provides energy savings that typically average a 75 percent improvement over traditional fluorescent lighting systems for office buildings and a 90 percent improvement for data centers, according to the company.
Redwood Systems’ smart building platform also monitors energy usage, room occupancy, motion detection, temperature and environmentals, giving a clearer view of how building space is being utilized. This data is stored and available for graphical review, detailed analysis, or use by building management systems.
The Redwood platform also uses techniques such as “follow-me lighting” and daylight harvesting to further reduce energy consumption. The patented networking technology uses a low-voltage direct current, or DC, architecture.
The acquisition is intended to strengthen CommScope’s position in automated infrastructure management. The Redwood Systems platform can be deployed over CommScope’s existing cabling infrastructure to help customers improve energy efficiency and gain insight on building usage from the sensor network.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers