Con Edison Big Apple Energy Storage Project Taps Eos, Ideal
Eos Energy Storage’s Aurora energy storage system and Ideal Power’s 30 kW battery converter technology are to be integrated, connected to the grid and deployed by Con Edison in a New York City pilot project in the second quarter of 2014.
The demonstration project with Con Edison is supported by funding from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority.
The Aurora system employs Eos’s zinc hybrid cathode battery technology and is designed to enhance renewable energy generation, increase the grid’s efficiency and resiliency, and reduce utilities’ costs and consumers’ electricity bills. The compact modular design of both the battery pack and power converter is suited for office buildings and facilities with space-constrained environments, Eos says.
With many hours of discharge capability, immediate response time, and modular construction, the Aurora system may be scaled and configured to maximize profitability in utility, commercial and industrial, and residential market segments, the company says.
Ideal Power says that its 30kW battery converter offers high efficiency in a compact, modular and easy-to-install product that can improve the economics for energy storage applications. It is based on the company’s patented Power Packet Switching Architecture that provides electrical isolation without the use of a bulky and expensive transformer. Among the many benefits of PPSA is the unique capability to reduce the size, cost, and efficiency loss associated with conventional systems, Ideal says.
Last Summer, Eos announced plans to partner with Con Edison,and a host of other US and European utilities to pilot its battery technology as part of its Genesis Program.
Collectively, these Genesis partners represent over 300 GW of generation, 1.6 million miles of transmission and distribution, and 76 million customers in over 70 countries, creating a platform for possible wide-spread implementation of the technology.
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity