Connecticut Hospital Upgrades to Dual-Fuel Boilers
The Building Technologies division of Siemens predicts that Manchester Memorial Hospital in Manchester Conn., will save nearly $500,000 a year in utility consumption under a $4.9 million energy savings performance contract with Eastern Connecticut Health Network. Manchester Memorial Hospital should receive one-time electric utility rebates totaling $592,451 and, in addition, is also awaiting gas incentives on the project that are being reviewed by the utility company.
At the heart of the project, slated for completion by June 2013, is the replacement of aging, oil-fired boilers with four new, efficient, high-pressure low-emission dual-fuel boilers that will be primarily fired by natural gas.
Siemens is managing all aspects of the project and will remove the old boilers and bring the new units online with minimal disruption to hospital operations. The new boilers are expected to save energy, improve reliability and significantly reduce maintenance and repair costs, which will help reduce the hospital’s fuel expenses up to 35 percent.
For the past five years, Siemens has worked with Manchester Memorial to implement this comprehensive plan to save energy, which also includes the upgrade and retrofit of building lighting systems, water conservation measures, a new upgraded energy management system and new high-efficiency chillers.
An affiliate of Eastern Connecticut Health Network, Manchester Memorial Hospital is a 249-bed acute care facility offering comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical services to communities east of Hartford, Conn.
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book