Connecticut Town Signs $10M Energy Savings Performance Contract
Honeywell won a contract to retrofit buildings in the town of Tolland, Conn., and the revitalization project is expected to save the city nearly $600,000 a year in utility and operating expenses, funds that will be used to make energy-efficient upgrades across multiple municipal buildings and four public schools. Tolland will finance a portion of the building improvements with a 20-year, $10-million performance contract with Honeywell.
The town also plans to supplement the investment with an estimated $350,000 in incentives from Connecticut Light & Power.
Among the improvements is the installation of geothermal technology at Tolland Middle School and Intermediate School. This renewable resource will help enable the schools to manage comfort by tapping into the stable temperatures below the earth’s surface to provide heat in the winter months and cool the facilities in summer.
The project includes a variety of other enhancements:
- A new building automation system to manage building systems in all four schools from a centralized location;
- Updated lighting controls and energy efficient lighting;
- HVAC mechanical upgrades, including new high-efficiency boilers;
- Water conservation measures including low-flow toilets and faucets; and
- Weatherization improvements to minimize the loss of warm and cool air.
The work will impact facilities across Tolland, primarily the town’s high, middle, intermediate and primary schools. Other buildings involved include the fire stations, Fire Training Center, Police Headquarters, Highway and Parks & Facilities Garages, Old Tolland County Jail and Museum, Old Town Hall, and the Crandall Lodge.
Honeywell will start construction this month and plans to complete the improvements by the end of 2014.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year