Connecticut Utility Pilots Energy Storage
Ice Energy has installed two Ice Bears at commercial businesses for Connecticut’s United Illuminating Company (UI) as a pilot project through the Energize Connecticut initiative to demonstrate the potential of the Ice Bear to reduce peak electric demand.
The Ice Bears were installed at two businesses located in Orange, Conn. Each Ice Bear unit was configured to provide both thermal energy storage and demand response. As a result, at each site, some of the air conditioning load is permanently shifted from peak to off peak using the thermal energy storage and some of it is subject to curtailment in an emergency, using the demand response.
The pilot will go through the 2014 summer air conditioning season.
The monitoring and evaluation of the performance of these units is being done in partnership with the University of New Haven’s Tagliatela College of Engineering where scientists will analyze pilot data to determine the impact on the grid and the businesses.
The units were purchased by UI with funds as part of the Energize Connecticut initiative but will be owned by the end customers.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management