Connecticut Utility Pilots Energy Storage
Ice Energy has installed two Ice Bears at commercial businesses for Connecticut’s United Illuminating Company (UI) as a pilot project through the Energize Connecticut initiative to demonstrate the potential of the Ice Bear to reduce peak electric demand.
The Ice Bears were installed at two businesses located in Orange, Conn. Each Ice Bear unit was configured to provide both thermal energy storage and demand response. As a result, at each site, some of the air conditioning load is permanently shifted from peak to off peak using the thermal energy storage and some of it is subject to curtailment in an emergency, using the demand response.
The pilot will go through the 2014 summer air conditioning season.
The monitoring and evaluation of the performance of these units is being done in partnership with the University of New Haven’s Tagliatela College of Engineering where scientists will analyze pilot data to determine the impact on the grid and the businesses.
The units were purchased by UI with funds as part of the Energize Connecticut initiative but will be owned by the end customers.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Combined Heat and Power