Constellation Launches Web Service Application for Automated Load Response
The application allows a facility’s existing automation system to manage load curtailment automatically based upon energy market signals and pre-set scenarios, without installing redundant or proprietary building controls hardware.
Constellation, a business unit of Exelon, says by reducing the upfront cost associated with load response automation, VirtuWatt Link enables a broader range of facility types and sizes to participate in a wider array of energy market programs.
VirtuWatt Link is an extension of Constellation’s VirtuWatt energy management platform (pictured), which allows commercial and industrial customers to monitor energy usage in real time and schedule load curtailments for load response programs.
Companies including Trane and Vedero Software have already partnered with Constellation to implement VirtuWatt Link, according to Constellation.
During the beta release, Trane, which provides energy efficiency HVAC systems, building and contracting services, created a VirtuWatt Link adapter for its Tracer and TIS platforms. It’s now live and supporting load response programs at Trane’s Texas facilities.
Automated demand response services provider Vedero Software has also integrated VirtuWatt with its cloud-based energy and load management platform.
VirtuWatt Link provides load response and security services including authentication access control, ISO event dispatch notification and acknowledgement and utility meter usage data. The product can be integrated to any energy management or controls system that utilizes web services, Constellation says. Its architecture is designed to handle demand response market signals and energy data from utilities and independent system operators, and is built to accommodate developing demand response protocol standards, such as OpenADR 2.0.
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- There’s Money in the Trash
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards