Constellation Launches Web Service Application for Automated Load Response
The application allows a facility’s existing automation system to manage load curtailment automatically based upon energy market signals and pre-set scenarios, without installing redundant or proprietary building controls hardware.
Constellation, a business unit of Exelon, says by reducing the upfront cost associated with load response automation, VirtuWatt Link enables a broader range of facility types and sizes to participate in a wider array of energy market programs.
VirtuWatt Link is an extension of Constellation’s VirtuWatt energy management platform (pictured), which allows commercial and industrial customers to monitor energy usage in real time and schedule load curtailments for load response programs.
Companies including Trane and Vedero Software have already partnered with Constellation to implement VirtuWatt Link, according to Constellation.
During the beta release, Trane, which provides energy efficiency HVAC systems, building and contracting services, created a VirtuWatt Link adapter for its Tracer and TIS platforms. It’s now live and supporting load response programs at Trane’s Texas facilities.
Automated demand response services provider Vedero Software has also integrated VirtuWatt with its cloud-based energy and load management platform.
VirtuWatt Link provides load response and security services including authentication access control, ISO event dispatch notification and acknowledgement and utility meter usage data. The product can be integrated to any energy management or controls system that utilizes web services, Constellation says. Its architecture is designed to handle demand response market signals and energy data from utilities and independent system operators, and is built to accommodate developing demand response protocol standards, such as OpenADR 2.0.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- 9 Ways to Reduce Energy Costs
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems