Costa Rican Airport Outfits Airfield with Solar LED Signs
Juan Santamaría International Airport in Costa Rica is installing a large quantity of solar-powered LED signs by ADB Airfield Solutions and Carmanah Technologies.
The project originally specified hard-wired LED signs, but instead switched to solar signs to reduce civil works expenditures and overall project cost.
Solar-powered signs are useful for airports that have difficulty accessing the electrical grid.
The project consists of ADB solar-powered signs and a solar engine power supply by Carmanah. The solar engine power supply incorporate hardware and software to provide power and optional remote control capability to the LED signs, and it increases airfield navigability in night and low-visibility conditions.
Recently, the US Marine Corps deployed solar-powered runway edge and threshold lights, taxiway lights and obstruction lights from Carmanah Technologies in support of its Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa airfield.
And the Albany International Airport expects to save $66,000 annually in utility costs from a lighting retrofit in which it replaced 1,969 fixtures with high-efficiency LEDs in the baggage claim, third-floor terminal offices, the art and culture exhibit area, observation level, a conference room, vendor areas and restrooms.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts