Costa Rican Airport Outfits Airfield with Solar LED Signs
Juan Santamaría International Airport in Costa Rica is installing a large quantity of solar-powered LED signs by ADB Airfield Solutions and Carmanah Technologies.
The project originally specified hard-wired LED signs, but instead switched to solar signs to reduce civil works expenditures and overall project cost.
Solar-powered signs are useful for airports that have difficulty accessing the electrical grid.
The project consists of ADB solar-powered signs and a solar engine power supply by Carmanah. The solar engine power supply incorporate hardware and software to provide power and optional remote control capability to the LED signs, and it increases airfield navigability in night and low-visibility conditions.
Recently, the US Marine Corps deployed solar-powered runway edge and threshold lights, taxiway lights and obstruction lights from Carmanah Technologies in support of its Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa airfield.
And the Albany International Airport expects to save $66,000 annually in utility costs from a lighting retrofit in which it replaced 1,969 fixtures with high-efficiency LEDs in the baggage claim, third-floor terminal offices, the art and culture exhibit area, observation level, a conference room, vendor areas and restrooms.
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- Beyond Equipment Management by Spreadsheets
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems