Costa Rican Airport Outfits Airfield with Solar LED Signs
Juan Santamaría International Airport in Costa Rica is installing a large quantity of solar-powered LED signs by ADB Airfield Solutions and Carmanah Technologies.
The project originally specified hard-wired LED signs, but instead switched to solar signs to reduce civil works expenditures and overall project cost.
Solar-powered signs are useful for airports that have difficulty accessing the electrical grid.
The project consists of ADB solar-powered signs and a solar engine power supply by Carmanah. The solar engine power supply incorporate hardware and software to provide power and optional remote control capability to the LED signs, and it increases airfield navigability in night and low-visibility conditions.
Recently, the US Marine Corps deployed solar-powered runway edge and threshold lights, taxiway lights and obstruction lights from Carmanah Technologies in support of its Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa airfield.
And the Albany International Airport expects to save $66,000 annually in utility costs from a lighting retrofit in which it replaced 1,969 fixtures with high-efficiency LEDs in the baggage claim, third-floor terminal offices, the art and culture exhibit area, observation level, a conference room, vendor areas and restrooms.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management