Costa Rican Airport Outfits Airfield with Solar LED Signs
Juan Santamaría International Airport in Costa Rica is installing a large quantity of solar-powered LED signs by ADB Airfield Solutions and Carmanah Technologies.
The project originally specified hard-wired LED signs, but instead switched to solar signs to reduce civil works expenditures and overall project cost.
Solar-powered signs are useful for airports that have difficulty accessing the electrical grid.
The project consists of ADB solar-powered signs and a solar engine power supply by Carmanah. The solar engine power supply incorporate hardware and software to provide power and optional remote control capability to the LED signs, and it increases airfield navigability in night and low-visibility conditions.
Recently, the US Marine Corps deployed solar-powered runway edge and threshold lights, taxiway lights and obstruction lights from Carmanah Technologies in support of its Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa airfield.
And the Albany International Airport expects to save $66,000 annually in utility costs from a lighting retrofit in which it replaced 1,969 fixtures with high-efficiency LEDs in the baggage claim, third-floor terminal offices, the art and culture exhibit area, observation level, a conference room, vendor areas and restrooms.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management