CPS Energy Retrofits 20,000 Street Lamps to LED
Toshiba International’s TGT LED Luminaires will replace over 20,000 high-pressure sodium (HPS) street lamps in San Antonio, Texas.
CPS Energy selected Toshiba’s LED roadway lighting, which includes LED products that will be communications-enabled, allowing for connection to the Smart Grid and other communications technologies.
San Antonio’s pre-existing 250-watt HPS luminaires consume 310 system watts and are being replaced by Toshiba’s 100-watt 42-chip TGT LED luminaires.
Conventional HPS luminaires produce a low color rendering, which may make it difficult to discern true colors of cars or surroundings, whereas LED luminaires produce a more accurate color rendering, according to Toshiba. Additionally, LED luminaires produce superior light uniformity, which means the light is directed where it’s needed with less light loss or misdirected light and more uniform light levels with better average to minimum footcandles, as compared to HPS luminaires. The monochromatic nature of HPS also makes the ability to detect contrast difficult. This affects a driver’s ability to see small objects or obstructions on the road, which could represent a safety hazard.
The Toshiba TGT LED Luminaire is a direct replacement for high-intensity discharge (HID) lighting, such as HPS or metal-halide. Toshiba’s TGT LED luminaire has a rated life of 100,000 hours L85, and the photocells have a rated life of 15 years, which means the TGT luminaire lasts up to 5 times longer with a lower lumen depreciation than metal-halide and twice as long as high-pressure sodium products.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Combined Heat and Power
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Energy Financing Report
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management