CPS Energy Retrofits 20,000 Street Lamps to LED
Toshiba International’s TGT LED Luminaires will replace over 20,000 high-pressure sodium (HPS) street lamps in San Antonio, Texas.
CPS Energy selected Toshiba’s LED roadway lighting, which includes LED products that will be communications-enabled, allowing for connection to the Smart Grid and other communications technologies.
San Antonio’s pre-existing 250-watt HPS luminaires consume 310 system watts and are being replaced by Toshiba’s 100-watt 42-chip TGT LED luminaires.
Conventional HPS luminaires produce a low color rendering, which may make it difficult to discern true colors of cars or surroundings, whereas LED luminaires produce a more accurate color rendering, according to Toshiba. Additionally, LED luminaires produce superior light uniformity, which means the light is directed where it’s needed with less light loss or misdirected light and more uniform light levels with better average to minimum footcandles, as compared to HPS luminaires. The monochromatic nature of HPS also makes the ability to detect contrast difficult. This affects a driver’s ability to see small objects or obstructions on the road, which could represent a safety hazard.
The Toshiba TGT LED Luminaire is a direct replacement for high-intensity discharge (HID) lighting, such as HPS or metal-halide. Toshiba’s TGT LED luminaire has a rated life of 100,000 hours L85, and the photocells have a rated life of 15 years, which means the TGT luminaire lasts up to 5 times longer with a lower lumen depreciation than metal-halide and twice as long as high-pressure sodium products.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Support Lean Manufacturing Principles with IBM Maximo Asset Management
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing