Cree LED Bulb Breaks $10 Price Barrier
Cree has launched a series of LED bulbs that save 84 percent of the energy compared to traditional incandescents and cost less than $14.
The Cree LED bulbs are backed by a 10-year limited warranty and available exclusively at the Home Depot. The retail price is $9.97 for the warm white 40-watt replacement, $12.97 for the 60-watt warm white replacement and $13.97 for the 60-watt day light.
The new Cree LEDs are designed to last 25,000 hours or 25 times longer than typical incandescent light bulbs.
The bulb is illuminated by Cree LED Filament Tower technology and provides a compact optically balanced light source within a real glass bulb that produces a warm light. The LEDs are shaped like traditional light bulbs, and can be placed in most lighting fixtures in the home.
By replacing the incandescent bulbs with Cree LEDs in a home’s five most frequently used light fixtures, consumers can save $61 per year on electric bills, the company says.
Additionally, the Cree LED bulbs turn on instantly and are free of the mercury that is found in CFL bulbs. Unlike many low-priced LED bulbs, Cree LED bulbs are easily dimmable with most standard incandescent dimmers.
The Cree LED light bulb (60-watt incandescent replacement) delivers 800 lumens and consumes only 9.5 watts and is available in warm white (2700K) and day light (5000K) color temperatures. The Cree LED light bulb (40-watt incandescent replacement) delivers 450 lumens, consumes 6 watts and is available in 2700K color temperature.
In December 2012, Philips announced its latest-generation 60 watt A-19 LED bulb uses 10 percent less energy than its 12.5 watt predecessor while increasing brightness by nearly 5 percent.
The lamp — which uses 11 watts of power while putting out more than 839 lumens — has a new design using Philips AirFlux technology, an airflow cooling system that the company says eliminates the traditional distracting heat sink fins needed for thermal management of LED bulbs.
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity