Cummins Plant Receives ISO 50001 Certification
Cummins says its Columbus Engine Plant (CEP) has earned ISO 50001 Energy Management System certification, the first Cummins manufacturing facility to achieve this accreditation.
The Columbus plant has implemented a number of energy improvements in recent years including replacing 4,000 metal halide light fixtures with high efficiency fluorescent fixtures, substituting efficient direct-fired air handling units for steam heat, improving building insulation and increasing air compressor efficiency. Implementation of the energy management system will drive additional energy improvement projects in the future.
Cummins manufactures diesel and natural gas engines and related technologies, employing about 46,000 people worldwide.
Bureau Veritas Certification North America presented the Columbus plant with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 50001 designation on June 26.
Launched in 2011, ISO 50001 includes internationally recognized requirements for effective energy management systems, to assist companies to establish and meet goals for energy performance and greenhouse gas reduction. The Cummins plant is one of just a few manufacturing sites in the United States to receive the ISO certification.
ISO 50001 is the Columbus Engine Plant’s fourth certification. The plant has also attained ISO/TS 16949 for quality management, ISO14001 for environmental management and OHSAS 18001 for health and safety management.
By its action, the Columbus plant has successfully incorporated energy efficiency into how work is done at the plant. It will continue to convert other energy-savings initiatives such as Cummins’ Energy Champions program and the Unplugged Challenge into standard practices.
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future