Data Center Research Added to Grant Program
Research teams from around the world have been awarded $40,000 grants to create more energy efficient data centers.
Microsoft says it is looking to find ways to transform the energy supply chain toward greater efficiency and reduced environmental impact.
Each year Microsoft issues a Request for Proposals for the SEIF research teams across the world to support academic research in software engineering technologies, tools, practices, and teaching methods. The scope was expanded to include applications related to datacenter innovation and energy efficiency.
“These grants will fund teams from four different universities to study innovations in all areas of datacenter operations, among other areas of software engineering and Internet of Things,” wrote Sean James, Global Foundation Services Senior Research Program Manager.
The four datacenter research award winners are:
- Christoforos Kozyrakis, Stanford University, Project: Resource Efficient Cloud Computing,
- Onur Mutlu, Carnegie Mellon University, Project: Improving Datacenter Efficiency and Total Cost of Ownership with Differentiated Software Reliability Analysis and Techniques,
- Thu Nguyen,Rutgers University, Project: Cool Provision: Provisioning of Cooling Systems for Datacenters,
- Reinaldo Tonkoski and Wei Sun, South Dakota State University, Project: Reliable and Resilient Microgrids for Datacenters.
More than 100 proposals from around 30 countries worldwide applied for the research grants.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year