Data Sheets Compare Air Compressor Manufacturers’ Performance
The Compressed Air and Gas Institute (CAGI) has made available air compressor manufacturers’ performance data. The CAGI Datasheets provide a common basis to compare certain factors — such as energy usage — and help companies select the compressor or dryer best suited to their needs.
From the CAGI Datasheets page, users can views compressor performance data from Atlas Copco, BOGE, CompAir, FS Curtis, Gardner Denver, Ingersoll Rand, Kaeser, Quincy and Sullair, as well as dryer data from Atlas Copco, Domnick Hunter, Ingersoll Rand, Hankison and Zeks.
The manufactures have all agreed to use standardized reporting forms.
These data sheets make it easier to take operating costs into account when making purchasing decisions, says PlantServices.
The magazine gives the following example: at $0.10/kWh with a five-day, two-shift operation of about 4,200 hrs/year, a typical 100 hp compressor would require about $37,000 in annual electrical costs.
Over a 10-year period, PlantServices says these costs can add up to about 76 percent of the total lifecycle cost of the air compressor with the purchase price representing only 12 percent. A 5 percent change in operating efficiency can equal an $18,500 difference over 10 years.
R.C. Bigelow expects to save 92,609 kWh per year with its new compressed air system, according to an October article published in the Idaho Statesman. The tea company has replaced a heatless desiccant dryer with an oversized refrigerated dryer, and an older compressor with a larger-capacity variable-speed compressor.
The new system, which cost $17,026, adjusts to load demands and maintains a consistent line pressure, the newspaper says.
Photo Credit: CAGI
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions - Findings from Leading Professionals
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation