Data Sheets Compare Air Compressor Manufacturers’ Performance
The Compressed Air and Gas Institute (CAGI) has made available air compressor manufacturers’ performance data. The CAGI Datasheets provide a common basis to compare certain factors — such as energy usage — and help companies select the compressor or dryer best suited to their needs.
From the CAGI Datasheets page, users can views compressor performance data from Atlas Copco, BOGE, CompAir, FS Curtis, Gardner Denver, Ingersoll Rand, Kaeser, Quincy and Sullair, as well as dryer data from Atlas Copco, Domnick Hunter, Ingersoll Rand, Hankison and Zeks.
The manufactures have all agreed to use standardized reporting forms.
These data sheets make it easier to take operating costs into account when making purchasing decisions, says PlantServices.
The magazine gives the following example: at $0.10/kWh with a five-day, two-shift operation of about 4,200 hrs/year, a typical 100 hp compressor would require about $37,000 in annual electrical costs.
Over a 10-year period, PlantServices says these costs can add up to about 76 percent of the total lifecycle cost of the air compressor with the purchase price representing only 12 percent. A 5 percent change in operating efficiency can equal an $18,500 difference over 10 years.
R.C. Bigelow expects to save 92,609 kWh per year with its new compressed air system, according to an October article published in the Idaho Statesman. The tea company has replaced a heatless desiccant dryer with an oversized refrigerated dryer, and an older compressor with a larger-capacity variable-speed compressor.
The new system, which cost $17,026, adjusts to load demands and maintains a consistent line pressure, the newspaper says.
Photo Credit: CAGI
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide