Database Tracks Energy Legislation in All 50 States
Colorado State University’s Center for the New Energy Economy (CNEE) has gone live with an online database of energy-related legislation pending in all 50 states.
The Advanced Energy Legislation (AEL) Tracker, which was created in partnership with Advanced Energy Economy (AEE), is available to the general public.
Currently, state legislatures are considering more than 2,100 bills that could change the way Americans produce, buy and use energy, according to AEE. The AEL Tracker identifies all those measures and monitors the progress of energy bills as they move forward.
AEL Tracker also can help identify trends in energy legislation. For example, based on information available in AEL Tracker:
- Nearly 25 percent of pending state energy legislation calls for new financing tools – including tax incentives – for the installation of energy facilities;
- Roughly 21 percent of pending bills promote development of clean energy sources;
- About 8 percent encourages adoption of energy-efficient appliances, building codes and practices – the low-hanging fruit in America’s energy supply chain.
The Center expects to publish 2-3 trend analyses per month.
“If we look at where the country is going on advanced energy policy, overwhelmingly that transition is being led by states,” said Bill Ritter (pictured), founding director of CNEE and the former governor of Colorado, in a statement. “To get the pulse of where the country is going we need to understand what the states are doing.”
The database has been developed in collaboration with AEE, a national business organization representing the entire advanced energy industry, from wind, hydro, solar, and natural gas to efficiency and electric vehicles.
Jeff Lyng, senior policy advisor with CNEE, said a team, including CSU graduate students and interns, has worked for about three months to research legislation and populate the database. “There is a fair amount of day to day work in researching,” said Lyng. Although the team is automating the database as much as possible, it will be on on-going process to keep it updated.
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book