DC Office Building Installs 30 kW Solar System
Astrum Solar, a Maryland-based Direct Energy company, designed and installed the 30 kW PV system for Tower, a privately-held organization that has both developed and managed The Millennium Building since 1973. The 235,000-sq-foot, multi-tenant, commercial office building is LEED Gold certified and Energy Star certified with a current score of 86.
The new solar PV system is located on the roof and features 109 270-watt panels with an estimated annual production of nearly 40,000 kWh. Tower decided to purchase instead of lease the system. Tower has installed a live dashboard in the penthouse lobby, which will display the daily and on-going electricity generated.
Tower said the decreased cost of solar panels combined with tax and SREC incentives made the project financially viable.
The project will contribute to the Sustainable DC Plan’s goal of increasing renewable energy sources to 50 percent by 2032. According to the District Department of the Environment, there are more than 1,200 PV systems in the District registered with the Renewable Portfolio Standard Program, translating to about 9 MW of PV capacity.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- There’s Money in the Trash