DCIM Lets Data Centers Sell Excess Energy Back to Grid
At the Gartner Data Center Conference today, Power Assure and iTracs Data Center announced the availability of an integrated data center infrastructure management (DCIM) product that turns data centers into revenue centers.
Power Assure and iTRACS see a shift in how data centers contribute to an enterprise. With monetization through participation in the energy market, data centers can accurately forecast IT energy loads to automatically shift, shed, and sell energy back to utilities, becoming a source of new revenue. Combined with new cost reduction strategies including better methodologies for Computational Fluid Dynamics modeling, the data center can be converted from a cost center to a revenue center.
The Power Assure and iTRACS collaboration includes aggressive server consolidation and resource management strategies; increased rack capacities and higher CPU utilization; and participation in the energy market by shifting and selling excess IT energy loads.
This software combines Power Assure’s open API and web services-based PAR4 server performance metrics, IT forecasting, and global energy intelligence software with iTRACS’ open systems Converged Physical Infrastructure Management DCIM software suite.
Power Assure and iTRACS have been recognized as DCIM specialists by Gartner under “Vendors to Watch” in its November 2012 research note entitled “Market Trends: Total Addressable DCIM Market Will Reach $1.7B in 2016.”
A recent study by IDC found that issues with data center power, space and cooling pulled resources away from other business goals.
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers