DCIM Lets Data Centers Sell Excess Energy Back to Grid
At the Gartner Data Center Conference today, Power Assure and iTracs Data Center announced the availability of an integrated data center infrastructure management (DCIM) product that turns data centers into revenue centers.
Power Assure and iTRACS see a shift in how data centers contribute to an enterprise. With monetization through participation in the energy market, data centers can accurately forecast IT energy loads to automatically shift, shed, and sell energy back to utilities, becoming a source of new revenue. Combined with new cost reduction strategies including better methodologies for Computational Fluid Dynamics modeling, the data center can be converted from a cost center to a revenue center.
The Power Assure and iTRACS collaboration includes aggressive server consolidation and resource management strategies; increased rack capacities and higher CPU utilization; and participation in the energy market by shifting and selling excess IT energy loads.
This software combines Power Assure’s open API and web services-based PAR4 server performance metrics, IT forecasting, and global energy intelligence software with iTRACS’ open systems Converged Physical Infrastructure Management DCIM software suite.
Power Assure and iTRACS have been recognized as DCIM specialists by Gartner under “Vendors to Watch” in its November 2012 research note entitled “Market Trends: Total Addressable DCIM Market Will Reach $1.7B in 2016.”
A recent study by IDC found that issues with data center power, space and cooling pulled resources away from other business goals.
- The World Resources Institute Scope 2 Guidance: A Verifier’s Perspective
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year