DECC Awards $13.3M for Energy Storage R&D
A $13.3 million contract has been awarded to a partnership of Viridor Waste Management and Highview Power Storage as part of the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change’s innovation competition to support energy storage technology research and development.
Viridor and Highview will use the funding to develop a technology to store air in a liquid format, which can then be used to supply electricity at times of high demand. The technology will be connected to the National Grid, and will be used to test balancing supply and demand using stored energy.
The Viridor-Highview liquid air energy storage demonstration project was awarded funding under DECC’s Energy Storage Technology Demonstration Competition. The Competition was launched in October 2012 with a budget of up to $28 million.
In November 2013, DECC announced the following three winning demonstration projects:
- Moixa Technology – awarded a contract of $2 million to install and demonstrate its battery storage unit in about 300 homes across the UK;
- REDT UK – awarded a contract of $5 million to build and test its redox flow battery technology on the Isle of Gigha to store surplus wind energy for use in the local electricity network when required; and
- EValu8 Transport Innovations – awarded a $4.6 million contract on behalf of the EVEREST Consortium to develop a new storage system, partly made out of recycled batteries from electric vehicles, which will store renewable energy generated at times of low demand for use at times of peak demand.
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement