DECC: UK Remains a Net Importer of Energy
The UK remained a net importer of energy, with an increased dependency level of 47 percent, according to the “Digest of UK Energy Statistics 2014” released by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC). This continues the trend from 2004 when the UK once again became a net importer of fuel. In 2013 the UK was a net importer of all fuels, as imports of petroleum products in total exceeded exports following the closure of the Coryton refinery.
The Digest provides detailed analysis of production, transformation and energy consumption in 2013. The publication includes the following key statistics:
- Primary energy production fell by 6.3 percent from a year earlier due to record low coal output following mine closures.
- Final energy consumption rose by 0.7 percent, reflecting the colder weather in 2013. On a temperature-adjusted basis, energy consumption was down 0.3 percent continuing the downward trend of the last nine years.
- Electricity generated from renewable sources in 2013 increased by 30 percent from a year earlier and accounted for 14.9 percent of total UK electricity generation, up from 11.3 percent in 2012. Total renewables accounted for 5.2 percent of energy consumption in 2013, up from 4.2 percent in 2012.
- Gross natural gas production fell 6.2 percent in 2013. This reflects the continuing long-term decline in UK natural gas production, which has fallen by an average of 8.0 percent per year since 2000, when production peaked.
- Energy imports were at record levels in 2013, up 2.3 percent from 2012 levels.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- The Sustainable Edge™
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software