Deep Energy Retrofit Completed at Bank Building
The First Security Bank building in Missoula, Mont., has undergone a deep energy retrofit. The project is expected to cut the building’s annual energy costs by as much as 46 percent, according to an article in the Missoulian.
The project began in late 2012 and was completed last month. It was supported through the Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance as part of its Existing Building Renewal initiative, a pilot project designed to demonstrate the viability of bringing existing older commercial office buildings into ultra-modern energy efficiency standards.
The retrofit of the 60-year-old, 23,000-sq-foot building included a transformation of the building’s insulation, heating, cooling, lighting and power systems. Prior to the renovation, the building’s electric and natural gas costs totaled about $43,550 annually, not including the cost to power a data center housed on one of the building’s six floors.
Before the HVAC system was replaced, the exterior surface of the building was air-sealed, resulting in a 27 percent savings on energy costs. Phase I of the retrofit included insulating behind the green panels on the building’s façade, repairing broken dampers, installing cleaner filters, and adding time clocks to exhaust fans and ventilation systems. After the completion of Phase I improvements in October 2012, the October, November and December 2012 energy bills were reduced by 18.5 percent or $2,227.
The next phase of the renovation included installing new fluorescent light fixtures to spread light out more evenly. The old boiler system was ripped out, modern controls were installed in each office building, and computer controlled, variable-speed inverters were installed on the roof, which allowed individual tenants to set their preferred temperature.
The retrofit was completed on a floor-by-floor basis to reduce the amount of tenant disruption.
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape