Deep Energy Retrofit Completed at Bank Building
The First Security Bank building in Missoula, Mont., has undergone a deep energy retrofit. The project is expected to cut the building’s annual energy costs by as much as 46 percent, according to an article in the Missoulian.
The project began in late 2012 and was completed last month. It was supported through the Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance as part of its Existing Building Renewal initiative, a pilot project designed to demonstrate the viability of bringing existing older commercial office buildings into ultra-modern energy efficiency standards.
The retrofit of the 60-year-old, 23,000-sq-foot building included a transformation of the building’s insulation, heating, cooling, lighting and power systems. Prior to the renovation, the building’s electric and natural gas costs totaled about $43,550 annually, not including the cost to power a data center housed on one of the building’s six floors.
Before the HVAC system was replaced, the exterior surface of the building was air-sealed, resulting in a 27 percent savings on energy costs. Phase I of the retrofit included insulating behind the green panels on the building’s façade, repairing broken dampers, installing cleaner filters, and adding time clocks to exhaust fans and ventilation systems. After the completion of Phase I improvements in October 2012, the October, November and December 2012 energy bills were reduced by 18.5 percent or $2,227.
The next phase of the renovation included installing new fluorescent light fixtures to spread light out more evenly. The old boiler system was ripped out, modern controls were installed in each office building, and computer controlled, variable-speed inverters were installed on the roof, which allowed individual tenants to set their preferred temperature.
The retrofit was completed on a floor-by-floor basis to reduce the amount of tenant disruption.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 4 Reasons Operations Teams Can’t Live Without Real-Time Building Data
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management