Dell, eBay Team for Data Center Efficiency
Dell will work with eBay to solve hyperscale data center problems at Dell’s new Evergreen Innovation Center at the company’s Austin campus.
The innovation center has servers and other data center components running for live testing and development, according to a Dell spokeswoman. The new center will enable Dell to further enhance its modular, open platforms so that scale-out data center customers can address evolving business needs.
eBay will work with Dell in its Evergreen Innovation Center to explore next-generation engineering concepts and technology development to help further eBay’s data center efficiency and drive advancements in the industry. Last year, Dell and eBay issued a case study about a modular data center project aimed at efficiency.
Earlier this year, eBay released details of its approach to analyze the efficiency of its data centers through metrics critical to the company’s overall business. The new methodology, called Digital Service Efficiency (DSE), provides a complete view of infrastructure performance in the data center and how it impacts business outcomes.
Recently eBay released some of its first measurements from its DSE initiative and reported that although it had a 37 percent spike in its number of servers due to increased customer demand, the company’s power consumption increased just 16 percent (2.69 MW) during the same period from last year.
Dell says its Data Center Solutions group aligns with eBay’s approach in using innovation to improve the efficiency of the data center in ways that have a meaningful impact on a business’ bottom lines. The innovation center will enable Dell and eBay to investigate every aspect of the data center – from the CPU to cooling methodologies – in order to solve efficiency challenges and uncover new opportunities for optimization.
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions - Findings from Leading Professionals
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software