Dell, eBay Team for Data Center Efficiency
Dell will work with eBay to solve hyperscale data center problems at Dell’s new Evergreen Innovation Center at the company’s Austin campus.
The innovation center has servers and other data center components running for live testing and development, according to a Dell spokeswoman. The new center will enable Dell to further enhance its modular, open platforms so that scale-out data center customers can address evolving business needs.
eBay will work with Dell in its Evergreen Innovation Center to explore next-generation engineering concepts and technology development to help further eBay’s data center efficiency and drive advancements in the industry. Last year, Dell and eBay issued a case study about a modular data center project aimed at efficiency.
Earlier this year, eBay released details of its approach to analyze the efficiency of its data centers through metrics critical to the company’s overall business. The new methodology, called Digital Service Efficiency (DSE), provides a complete view of infrastructure performance in the data center and how it impacts business outcomes.
Recently eBay released some of its first measurements from its DSE initiative and reported that although it had a 37 percent spike in its number of servers due to increased customer demand, the company’s power consumption increased just 16 percent (2.69 MW) during the same period from last year.
Dell says its Data Center Solutions group aligns with eBay’s approach in using innovation to improve the efficiency of the data center in ways that have a meaningful impact on a business’ bottom lines. The innovation center will enable Dell and eBay to investigate every aspect of the data center – from the CPU to cooling methodologies – in order to solve efficiency challenges and uncover new opportunities for optimization.
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Connected Buildings, Connected People: A Look to the Future
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies