Dell, eBay Team for Data Center Efficiency
Dell will work with eBay to solve hyperscale data center problems at Dell’s new Evergreen Innovation Center at the company’s Austin campus.
The innovation center has servers and other data center components running for live testing and development, according to a Dell spokeswoman. The new center will enable Dell to further enhance its modular, open platforms so that scale-out data center customers can address evolving business needs.
eBay will work with Dell in its Evergreen Innovation Center to explore next-generation engineering concepts and technology development to help further eBay’s data center efficiency and drive advancements in the industry. Last year, Dell and eBay issued a case study about a modular data center project aimed at efficiency.
Earlier this year, eBay released details of its approach to analyze the efficiency of its data centers through metrics critical to the company’s overall business. The new methodology, called Digital Service Efficiency (DSE), provides a complete view of infrastructure performance in the data center and how it impacts business outcomes.
Recently eBay released some of its first measurements from its DSE initiative and reported that although it had a 37 percent spike in its number of servers due to increased customer demand, the company’s power consumption increased just 16 percent (2.69 MW) during the same period from last year.
Dell says its Data Center Solutions group aligns with eBay’s approach in using innovation to improve the efficiency of the data center in ways that have a meaningful impact on a business’ bottom lines. The innovation center will enable Dell and eBay to investigate every aspect of the data center – from the CPU to cooling methodologies – in order to solve efficiency challenges and uncover new opportunities for optimization.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing