Detection of Heat Pump Leak Saves Hawaiian Resort $94,000 per Year
Hawaii Energy awarded Four Seasons Resort Maui’s 20-person engineering team with the Hawaii Energy Conservation Award for saving more than $1 million annually in energy costs.
Hawaii Energy is the ratepayer-funded energy conservation and efficiency program for Maui, Molokai, Hawaii, Lanai and Oahu. Four Seasons Resort Maui’s team was led by Pat Ware, the director of engineering. He was responsible for overseeing more than $8 million in energy-efficiency renovation projects for the 635,976 sq-foot-property from 2010 through 2014.
Four Seasons Resort Maui will save an estimated 3.8 million kWh per year. The electricity savings will total more than $1 million annually (based on $0.26/kWh) once the remaining projects are completed by 2016 that include guest room energy management systems and electronically commutated fan coil motors.
These renovation and upgrade projects included lighting, air conditioning, water heating, ventilation systems for the parking garage, chilled water pumps, air handling units, guest room energy management systems and kitchen demand ventilation systems for four restaurants. Hawaii Energy helped offset some of these project costs by providing more than $500,000 in financial incentives from 2010 through 2014.
Four Seasons Resort Maui’s team replaced an old building automation system (centralized control system) with a state-of-the-art model that made it possible to monitor and manage more of the resort’s energy consuming equipment. The system helped identify an underground hot water leak when large energy spikes with the heat pumps were detected. By fixing the leak, the resort saved more than $94,000.00/year (1,000 kWh/day) and prevented thousands of gallons of water from being lost.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Combined Heat and Power
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year