Detroit Thermal Provides Steam Heat to U-Haul Facility
U-Haul has selected Detroit Thermal (DT) to reestablish steam heating services to its new moving and self-storage facility in Detroit.
U-Haul purchased the 280,000-square-feet National Biscuit Company (Nabisco) Building (pictured) in June, and has been refurbishing the seven-story facility, slated to open in early 2013.
DT owns and operates the district energy steam system throughout the greater downtown Detroit area, and has contributed manpower and capital investments to remove and rebuild internal piping to facilitate the building’s addition to the steam network.
U-Haul says it plans to invest about $2.6 million into building construction and renovation. When completed, the facility will provide truck and trailer rentals, self-storage, U-Haul car share, U-Box pod moving and self-storage and mixed-use community space.
DT also supplies hot water heaters for Ford Field, home of the Detroit Lions. The company replaced the stadium’s natural gas hot water heaters with three steam heat exchangers to improve efficiency, reduce environmental impact and meet expanding demands.
An October report by the Northeast/Midwest Institute said district energy and combined heat and power systems can deliver cost savings, a reliable energy supply and environmental benefits to older industrial cities. But roadblocks — including high initial capital costs — are widespread.
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement