Detroit Thermal Provides Steam Heat to U-Haul Facility
U-Haul has selected Detroit Thermal (DT) to reestablish steam heating services to its new moving and self-storage facility in Detroit.
U-Haul purchased the 280,000-square-feet National Biscuit Company (Nabisco) Building (pictured) in June, and has been refurbishing the seven-story facility, slated to open in early 2013.
DT owns and operates the district energy steam system throughout the greater downtown Detroit area, and has contributed manpower and capital investments to remove and rebuild internal piping to facilitate the building’s addition to the steam network.
U-Haul says it plans to invest about $2.6 million into building construction and renovation. When completed, the facility will provide truck and trailer rentals, self-storage, U-Haul car share, U-Box pod moving and self-storage and mixed-use community space.
DT also supplies hot water heaters for Ford Field, home of the Detroit Lions. The company replaced the stadium’s natural gas hot water heaters with three steam heat exchangers to improve efficiency, reduce environmental impact and meet expanding demands.
An October report by the Northeast/Midwest Institute said district energy and combined heat and power systems can deliver cost savings, a reliable energy supply and environmental benefits to older industrial cities. But roadblocks — including high initial capital costs — are widespread.
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Beyond Equipment Management by Spreadsheets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- 9 Ways to Reduce Energy Costs
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems