Detroit Thermal Provides Steam Heat to U-Haul Facility
U-Haul has selected Detroit Thermal (DT) to reestablish steam heating services to its new moving and self-storage facility in Detroit.
U-Haul purchased the 280,000-square-feet National Biscuit Company (Nabisco) Building (pictured) in June, and has been refurbishing the seven-story facility, slated to open in early 2013.
DT owns and operates the district energy steam system throughout the greater downtown Detroit area, and has contributed manpower and capital investments to remove and rebuild internal piping to facilitate the building’s addition to the steam network.
U-Haul says it plans to invest about $2.6 million into building construction and renovation. When completed, the facility will provide truck and trailer rentals, self-storage, U-Haul car share, U-Box pod moving and self-storage and mixed-use community space.
DT also supplies hot water heaters for Ford Field, home of the Detroit Lions. The company replaced the stadium’s natural gas hot water heaters with three steam heat exchangers to improve efficiency, reduce environmental impact and meet expanding demands.
An October report by the Northeast/Midwest Institute said district energy and combined heat and power systems can deliver cost savings, a reliable energy supply and environmental benefits to older industrial cities. But roadblocks — including high initial capital costs — are widespread.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room