Discovery Science Center Selects GE Energy Storage System
Nonprofit education organization the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, Calif., is installing a 500 kWh GE Energy Storage system
The GE storage and Princeton Power Systems inverter control system is engineered to shift 10-to-20 percent of the science center’s daily electrical load from peak hours to less expensive off-peak time periods. The system also will provide backup power in the event of power outages. Discovery Science Center expects to see an immediate reduction in its electrical bill. Southern California Edison will manage the project for the science center
The project is part of California’s “Permanent Load Shift” program, a statewide effort to reduce peak demand on the California electrical grid. The winning GE Energy Storage and PPS proposal focused on the cost-effectiveness of pairing a Durathon Energy Storage System with PPS’s advanced inverter and control system, GE Energy Storage says.
According to research released by Kachan & Co. earlier this month, macroeconomic trends such as population growth, climate change and resource dependence are driving investment in the energy storage and energy efficiency markets.
Energy storage is a crucial element in clean energy development due to the intermittent nature of popular clean energy sources such as solar and wind. As such, money and time are spent on power storage, and specifically on wind and solar power sources that are available when needed, rather than when the weather dictates them to be. And investments are growing. There were 13 venture capital-backed deals in the second quarter of 2013, representing a 64 percent increase over quarter one, according to the research.
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 9 Ways to Reduce Energy Costs
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems