Distributech Preview: Cisco, GE
The annual smart grid show Distributech takes place this week in the San Diego Convention Center, and companies are touting their smart grid expertise.
Cisco has announced three new additions to its Connected Grid portfolio: the Utility Operational Network, the Connected Grid Design Suite and the Incident Response and Workforce Enablement.
Cisco’s Connected Grid strategy is to provide an end-to-end, secure and interoperable networking infrastructure for electrical grids that allows utilities to better manage power supply and demand, improve the security and reliability of energy transmission, and optimize operations.
More than 250 customers worldwide have adopted Cisco’s GridBlocks architecture and Connected Grid solutions. These include advanced metering infrastructure, substation and utility data center deployments in North America; as well as wide area, substation, and distribution networks in Europe and Asia.
GE is providing Southern California Edison (SCE) with a Phasor Measurement System to acquire, monitor, visualize, analyze, archive and share phasor measurement information. GE’s Phasor Measurement System acquires measurements of underlying grid conditions from phasor measurement units (PMUs), located within SCE’s system as well as neighboring utilities, at a rate of 30 times per second, providing operators with visibility to power system dynamics and a real-time wide-area view of the grid.
GE’s EMS-like platform combines synchrophasors with other sources of information to enhance wide-area situational awareness in real time, monitoring power flows, voltage magnitudes and phase angle differences between utility substation busses as well as frequency and its associated rate of change. The design of the system also accommodates the incorporation of supplemental information from other sources such as energy management systems and non-electrical system data (weather, traffic, fire, earthquake, etc.) to provide a holistic real-time view of the electrical grid for system operators.
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement