Distributech Preview: Cisco, GE
The annual smart grid show Distributech takes place this week in the San Diego Convention Center, and companies are touting their smart grid expertise.
Cisco has announced three new additions to its Connected Grid portfolio: the Utility Operational Network, the Connected Grid Design Suite and the Incident Response and Workforce Enablement.
Cisco’s Connected Grid strategy is to provide an end-to-end, secure and interoperable networking infrastructure for electrical grids that allows utilities to better manage power supply and demand, improve the security and reliability of energy transmission, and optimize operations.
More than 250 customers worldwide have adopted Cisco’s GridBlocks architecture and Connected Grid solutions. These include advanced metering infrastructure, substation and utility data center deployments in North America; as well as wide area, substation, and distribution networks in Europe and Asia.
GE is providing Southern California Edison (SCE) with a Phasor Measurement System to acquire, monitor, visualize, analyze, archive and share phasor measurement information. GE’s Phasor Measurement System acquires measurements of underlying grid conditions from phasor measurement units (PMUs), located within SCE’s system as well as neighboring utilities, at a rate of 30 times per second, providing operators with visibility to power system dynamics and a real-time wide-area view of the grid.
GE’s EMS-like platform combines synchrophasors with other sources of information to enhance wide-area situational awareness in real time, monitoring power flows, voltage magnitudes and phase angle differences between utility substation busses as well as frequency and its associated rate of change. The design of the system also accommodates the incorporation of supplemental information from other sources such as energy management systems and non-electrical system data (weather, traffic, fire, earthquake, etc.) to provide a holistic real-time view of the electrical grid for system operators.
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide