DOD Solar Plant Saves $500,000 Annually
A 16.4 MW photovoltaic solar power plant has been completed at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base near Tucson, Arizona. The plant is the largest solar energy facility at any US Department of Defense installation and is expected to reduce the Air Force’s utility costs by $500,000 annually for the next 25 years.
The project became a reality thanks to a public/private alliance between Davis-Monthan AFB, SunEdison, The North American Development Bank (NADB), MIC Solar Energy Holdings, Chevron Energy Solutions and local officials. MIC Solar Energy Holdings took ownership of the project. The SunEdison Renewable Operation Center will manage plant operations through a contract with MIC Solar Energy Holdings.
The plant, which is located on 170 acres, is designed to provide 35 percent of the base’s electricity requirements. The plant utilizes SunEdison Silvantis Solar Photovoltaic Modules.
In the past, Davis-Monthan has worked with Tuscon Electric Power’s on-and-off energy efficiency programs. For electricity alone, Davis-Monthan pays more than $6 million annually to TEP (TEP supplies electricity and the base operates its own distribution system).
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement