DOD Solar Plant Saves $500,000 Annually
A 16.4 MW photovoltaic solar power plant has been completed at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base near Tucson, Arizona. The plant is the largest solar energy facility at any US Department of Defense installation and is expected to reduce the Air Force’s utility costs by $500,000 annually for the next 25 years.
The project became a reality thanks to a public/private alliance between Davis-Monthan AFB, SunEdison, The North American Development Bank (NADB), MIC Solar Energy Holdings, Chevron Energy Solutions and local officials. MIC Solar Energy Holdings took ownership of the project. The SunEdison Renewable Operation Center will manage plant operations through a contract with MIC Solar Energy Holdings.
The plant, which is located on 170 acres, is designed to provide 35 percent of the base’s electricity requirements. The plant utilizes SunEdison Silvantis Solar Photovoltaic Modules.
In the past, Davis-Monthan has worked with Tuscon Electric Power’s on-and-off energy efficiency programs. For electricity alone, Davis-Monthan pays more than $6 million annually to TEP (TEP supplies electricity and the base operates its own distribution system).
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management