DOE Announces Funding Opportunity for Energy Efficiency Projects on Tribal Lands
The US Department of Energy (DOE) announced up to $7 million to deploy clean energy and energy efficiency projects in tribal communities. The Tribal Energy Program, in cooperation with the Department’s Office of Indian Energy, will help Native American tribes, tribal energy resource development organizations and tribal consortia to install community or facility-scale clean energy and energy efficiency projects.
Tribal lands comprise nearly 2 percent of US land, but contain about 5 percent of all the country’s renewable energy resources. With more than 9 million MW of potential installed renewable energy capacity on tribal lands, these communities are well positioned to capitalize on their abundant domestic renewable energy resources, enhancing US energy security.
The Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) is soliciting applications under two topic areas:
- Topic Area 1: Tribal Building Clean Energy and Energy Efficiency Retrofits.
- Topic Area 2: Community-Scale Clean Energy Deployment.
Under Topic Area 1, the department is soliciting projects to install natural gas combined heat and power systems and renewable energy systems to displace electrical, heating or cooling loads by at least 15 percent. Also included are deep energy retrofits that reduce the total of all energy used in a building or buildings by at least 20 percent.
Under Topic Area 2, the department is soliciting projects to install clean energy systems that can provide electricity, heating or cooling to many buildings or to an entire tribal community. Clean energy systems need to generate a minimum of 50 kW of power and use commercially warrantied technology.
Cost-shared projects selected under this funding announcement are intended to result in immediate cost savings, reduce energy use and increase energy security for Indian Tribes and tribal members.
Photo via Shutterstock
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution