DOE Announces Funding Opportunity for Energy Efficiency Projects on Tribal Lands
The US Department of Energy (DOE) announced up to $7 million to deploy clean energy and energy efficiency projects in tribal communities. The Tribal Energy Program, in cooperation with the Department’s Office of Indian Energy, will help Native American tribes, tribal energy resource development organizations and tribal consortia to install community or facility-scale clean energy and energy efficiency projects.
Tribal lands comprise nearly 2 percent of US land, but contain about 5 percent of all the country’s renewable energy resources. With more than 9 million MW of potential installed renewable energy capacity on tribal lands, these communities are well positioned to capitalize on their abundant domestic renewable energy resources, enhancing US energy security.
The Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) is soliciting applications under two topic areas:
- Topic Area 1: Tribal Building Clean Energy and Energy Efficiency Retrofits.
- Topic Area 2: Community-Scale Clean Energy Deployment.
Under Topic Area 1, the department is soliciting projects to install natural gas combined heat and power systems and renewable energy systems to displace electrical, heating or cooling loads by at least 15 percent. Also included are deep energy retrofits that reduce the total of all energy used in a building or buildings by at least 20 percent.
Under Topic Area 2, the department is soliciting projects to install clean energy systems that can provide electricity, heating or cooling to many buildings or to an entire tribal community. Clean energy systems need to generate a minimum of 50 kW of power and use commercially warrantied technology.
Cost-shared projects selected under this funding announcement are intended to result in immediate cost savings, reduce energy use and increase energy security for Indian Tribes and tribal members.
Photo via Shutterstock
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Connected Buildings, Connected People: A Look to the Future
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies