DOE Awards $5M for Energy Projects at 9 Federal Facilities
The Energy Department announced $5 million in funding for nine projects that will advance the development of combined heat and power (CHP) and renewable energy technologies at federal facilities.
The cost is shared with industry, making the total investment nearly $120 million.
Projects funded under the Energy Department’s Federal Energy Management Program are:
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas) – A 13.7 MW CHP system.
- Department of Defense (Army Aberdeen Proving Ground in Edgewood, Maryland) – A 7.9 MW CHP system, executed under an Energy Savings Performance Contract.
- National Science Foundation (Arctic Program at Thule Air Base in Greenland) – A 30 kW CHP system.
- Department of Agriculture (12 Forest Service National Forests in California) – The Forest Service will deploy a total of 220 kW of renewable energy installations, including PV systems at 14 locations across 11 National Forests, along with a single small-scale hydroelectric turbine at one additional National Forest.
- Department of Justice (Bureau of Prisons in Oregon, New Jersey, and New York) – The Bureau of Prisons will install a total of 1.5 MW of ground-mounted PV systems at three federal prisons.
- Department of the Interior (National Park Service in Virginia and North Carolina) – The National Park Service will deploy 350 solar-powered safety lights along the 469-mile Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and North Carolina.
- Department of Defense (Air National Guard in Westhampton Beach, New York) – A 1.56 MW rooftop PV system at the Gabreski Airport.
- Department of Defense (Army in Fort Campbell, Kentucky) – A 5 MW ground-mounted PV system installed on an abandoned landfill.
- Department of Transportation (Federal Aviation Administration in Peachtree City, Georgia) – A 217 kW ground-mount PV system at the Terminal Radar Approach Control Station.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection