DOE Awards $60M to Advance Solar
Energy Secretary Moniz announced about $60 million to support solar energy research and development as part of the Department’s SunShot Initiative as follows:
>>More than $12 million across 17 companies to help commercialize a wide range of technologies and services – from online tools that can map a rooftop’s solar potential in seconds to automated installation systems for utility scale photovoltaic plants.
>>About $16 million to four projects that will help develop solar devices that near the theoretical efficiency limits of single junction solar cells, or about 30 percent efficiency.
>>About $7 million to develop stronger, more reliable solar components as well as dependable performance tests for microinverters and microconverters. They provide easier installation and more effective capture of energy for both photovoltaic and concentrating solar power systems.
>>About $8 million to help utilities forecast and integrate high levels of renewable energy generation into the grid, while ensuring reliable and affordable power. For example, AWS Truepower will help California utilities feed cost-competitive distributed solar directly into the power grid, while the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association will help 150 US counties deploy new solar capacity and model streamlined financing and installation processes for electric cooperatives nationwide.
>>Nearly $15 million to develop power engineering curriculum and launch four regional training consortiums. Led by US universities, utilities, and industry, these consortiums will train the next generation of energy engineers, system operators and utility professionals.
>>About $1 million to Delaware State University and the University of Texas at San Antonio to provide solar energy research and education opportunities to minority students.
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers