DOE Invests $67M to Advance Nuclear Technology
The US Department of Energy (DOE) announced nearly $67 million in nuclear energy research and infrastructure enhancement awards. More than 80 projects were selected from across the country based on their potential to create scientific breakthroughs that help strengthen the nation’s energy security and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
The DOE is awarding over $30 million through its Nuclear Energy Research Programs (NEUP) to support 44 university-led nuclear energy research and development projects to develop innovative technologies and solutions. These projects will be led by 30 US universities in 24 states. The announcement includes about $4 million to 19 universities for research reactor and infrastructure improvements and $20 million for five integrated research projects that will deliver solutions to high priority nuclear energy research challenges, including instrumentation and vacuum drying systems associated with the storage of used nuclear fuel, an integrated approach to fluoride high temperature reactor technology development, and advanced instrumentation to support transient testing.
Additionally, $11 million will be awarded for 12 research and development projects led by US universities, DOE national laboratories and industry in support of the Nuclear Energy Enabling Technologies Crosscutting Technology Development Program (NEET CTD) to address crosscutting nuclear energy challenges. Two infrastructure enhancement projects totaling over $1 million will be awarded to DOE national laboratories to further reactor materials and instrumentation research.
Photo via Shutterstock.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management