DOE Tries Crowdsourcing for Solar Innovation
The Energy Department announced a new prize competition – SunShot Catalyst – to spur innovation in the US solar marketplace.
Intended to tackle market barriers and address technical problems that can be solved through automation, algorithms, data, and software, SunShot Catalyst will leverage the reach and power of online crowdsourcing to generate ideas, spur business innovations and develop prototypes.
The Catalyst program consists of four steps with value awarded to all winning contestants totaling $1,000,000, including about $500,000 in cash prizes.
Step 1 begins May 21 with an “ideation” phase. Step 2 is the “business innovation” phase, which begins July 24, followed by the Step 3 “Prototype” phase. Up to 20 finalists will then advance to Step 4, the “Incubation” phase.
The prototype phase is designed to help business plan contest winners rapidly develop viable products using a crowd-centric performance-based software development platform. During the contest, teams will be provided with $25,000 worth of support from a DOE-provided software developer over a 60-day period.
DOE announced SunShot Catalyst at the SunShot Summit, taking place this week in Anaheim, Calif.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management