Don’t Overlook Hidden Solid State Lighting Issues
Solid state lighting (SSL) offers significant and high profile advantages. However, according to a story at facilitiesnet, there are some hidden challenges and realities that may cut savings and, at the least, require attention from managers.
Some of the top items to which attention should be paid when considering LEDs and other SSL approaches:
- The concentrated nature of SSL light can create intense points of light that reflect off a variety of surfaces. Thus, lenses, diffusers or use of indirect light may be needed.
- Existing dimming controls may not work.
- The long life of SSL devices makes it important to clean fixtures.
- Quality of LED systems vary. Thus, careful research before buying is vital.
- Controls that often are recommended or necessary for LED operations may moderate what appears to be impressive initial savings.
LEDs Magazine reports that Acuity Brands has acquired Juno Lighting from Schneider Electric. Juno, manufacturers of LED-based down- and tracklight fixtures for commercial and home applications, will expand Acuity’s inside LED lighting portfolio, according to the story.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Combined Heat and Power
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles